Adams Regional EMS provides 911 EMS response to over 15 municipalities in Adams County, PA as well as numerous more through mutual aid. Our providers maintain current certification through the Pennsylvania Department of Health at the Emergency Medical Technician (EMT), Advanced Emergency Technician (AEMT), or Paramedic levels. AREMS utilizes 4 ambulances and 1 chase unit to provide care in the following capacities:
- Ambulances provide Basic Life Support (BLS) staffed by 2 EMT’s. This unit can be upgraded by a Paramedic when necessary. AREMS ambulances provide assessment, treatment and transport per State BLS Protocol.
- Medic Units are chase units providing Advanced Life Support (ALS) and are staffed by a Paramedic. These units are able to upgrade ambulances from BLS to ALS levels of care when requested by that ambulance or dispatched by County 911.
- Mobile Intensive Care Units (MICU) are ambulances staffed at minimum by 2 providers, 1 Paramedic and (typically) an EMT partner. They are capable of providing both Advanced and Basic Life Support as required per call. MICU’s also respond to support BLS Ambulances by providing a Paramedic to upgrade their level of care to ALS in the same way as Medic Units.
AREMS staffs 4 MICU’s 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. These units can be staffed at either the BLS or ALS level as staffing dictates. Adams Regional can also up-staff when necessary, placing more units in service, for a variety of reasons.
You can visit our Apparatus & Equipment Page to see our current apparatus.
Area Hospitals & Specialty Centers
WellSpan Gettysburg Hospital – 147 Gettys St. Gettysburg, PA
WellSpan Gettysburg Hospital’s new emergency department provides patients with an enhanced patient-centered care experience equipped to meet community needs well into the future. The hospital’s emergency department features 18 private treatment rooms and has strengthened WellSpan Gettysburg Hospital’s ability to provide care to individuals who are seriously injured or ill as well as those who require treatment for minor conditions.
WellSpan York Hospital – 1001 S. George St. York, PA 17403
Wellspan York Hospital’s emergency department is a 24 hour emergency department in York, PA utilized by AREMS especially for its specialty resource capabilities. The ED at York Hospital is currently undergoing renovation/construction to create a state-of-the-art and future minded facility for its patients. The facility will remain open at all times during construction.
WellSpan York Hospital, in addition to its general ED, serves the following specialties:
- Level I Trauma Center
- STEMI / Cardiac Intervention Center
- Comprehensive Stroke Center
WellSpan Waynesboro Hospital – 501 East Main St. Waynesboro, PA 17268
The Emergency Department at Waynesboro Hospital is open 24-hours-a-day to care for ill or injured residents in our area. Dedicated nurses, physicians and other staff members provide acute care for a wide variety of conditions. The physicians and staff of the Emergency Department work with Advanced Life Support units and other ambulance units to coordinate pre-hospital and hospital-based care. Computerized patient tracking and medical records systems allow our Emergency Departments to provide cutting-edge care.
Hanover Hospital – 300 Highland Ave. Hanover, PA 17331
Hanover Hospital’s Emergency Department provides care and treatment for acute and non-acute injuries and illnesses. The ED Physicians specialize in emergency medicine and ED Nurses have Advanced Cardiac Life Support certification and many are Certified Emergency Nurses with Pediatric Advanced Life Support certification.
Hanover Hospital also serves with the following capabilities:
- PCI (Percutaneous Coronary Intervention) Center
- Primary Stroke Center – Telestroke consultation with Penn State Milton S. Hershey’s Stroke Center at the Hershey Medical Center
- Teleburn consultation with Lehigh Health Network
Meritus Medical Center – 11116 Medical Campus Road, Hagerstown, MD 21742
As a state-designated Level III Trauma Center, Meritus Medical Center offers around-the-clock access to trauma surgeons, neurosurgeons, thoracic surgeons and orthopedic surgeons, as well as a specialized trauma team and consulting physicians. Each year more than 72,000 patients arrive at Meritus Medical Center’s emergency department with life-threatening conditions like heart attacks, strokes, burns, penetrating injuries and acute allergic reactions.
Staffed with board certified emergency medicine physicians, nurses, physician assistants, laboratory technicians, x-ray technicians and respiratory therapists, our emergency department team offers expert care, with an emphasis on maintaining patient comfort, dignity and confidentiality. Designated areas for patients with serious medical conditions, heart attack symptoms, behavioral health concerns and minor injuries improve the efficiency of care. The emergency department also maintains an in-department CT scanner, x-ray and phlebotomists for expedited care.